Laying of the foundation stone for the neo-romanesque church. The architect was P. Ludger Wilhelm Rincklake OSB (1851 – 1927), monk of Maria Laach Abbey.
The monks have celebrated their liturgy in the church since 10th June, feast of the Sacred Heart. The building was not completed, the eastern part is closed by a provisional apse.
1937 – 1938
The western front of church is restored and altered by Dominikus Böhm (1880 – 1955), a famous architect from Cologne.
Br. Tutilo Haas OSB (1905 – 1956) from Maria Laach created the recess in the style of the cathedral of Autun in Burgundy. At the centre is Christ, beside whom are Our Lady, Saint Liudger, first bishop of Münster (with two geeses), Saint Joseph (with two doves) and Saint Benedict (with crozier and raven). The text of the inscription reads: »Venite benedicti Patris mei, possidete paratum vobis regnum a constitutione mundi.« – »Come, you blessed of my Father! Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world.« (Mt 25, 34). At the base of the columns of the portal are two lions, sculpted by Wilhelm Felix Schlüter (1902 – 1976) from Münster.
1949 – 1950
Renovation of the church in the spirit of the »Liturgical movement«. The picture of Saint Joseph above the high altar is replaced by a mosaic of the risen Christ by Ludwig Baur (1904 – 1977).
1954 – 1955
Our Lady’s chapel is decorated by Ludwig Baur with a mosaic showing the Annunciation.
Ludwig Baur creates a new, abstract window above the apse. The last traces of the original decoration of the curch interior disappear.
1970 – 1971
The restoration of the church is necessary to realize the reforms of Vatican II. The new altar designed by Ludwig Baur is situated in the transept between the choir stalls. The tabernacle is given a place at the eastern end of the northern aisle.
2003 – 2004
Restoration of the church by the architect Ulrich Hahn (born 1955) from Aachen. The chapel of the Sacred Heart in the northern tower becomes a chapel of adoration. The church becomes much brighter because of the new and larger windows on the eastern side. Dedication of the new altar on 2nd February, 2004.
A Romanesque sculpture of Our Lady and Saint John beside the Holy Cross gets a central place in the apse. This sculpture comes from northern Spain.